General Surgery Fellowship
Location: St. Boniface Hospital, Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti
Start Date: Summer/Fall 2017
Duration: 1 year with the possibility of extending to 2 years
Reports to: Chief of Surgery, St. Boniface Hospital
The St. Boniface Haiti Foundation (SBHF) is dedicated to providing essential health services to the people of southern Haiti, especially the most vulnerable. We are committed to building a comprehensive, efficient, and resilient health system that provides high quality care. We believe that ensuring access to life-saving and life-changing health services is a critical component to building strong and productive communities. SBHF is a non-governmental organization headquartered in Newton, Massachusetts, that supports and engages in the provision of quality health care at the 123-bed St. Boniface Hospital in Fond-des-Blancs.
The General Surgery Fellow will be based at St. Boniface Hospital in the newly opened surgical center with three operating rooms and will work to maintain a high standard of surgical care. The General Surgery Fellow will report to the Chief of Surgery, and will have a close working relationship with the Medical Director and the Director General at St. Boniface Hospital.
SBHF is seeking a board certified General Surgery Fellow to help develop and strengthen the Department of General Surgery at St. Boniface Hospital. He/she will be qualified to immerse in a high volume surgical environment. The General Surgery Fellow will precept up to eight Haitian surgical residents per year during one month rural medicine rotations at St. Boniface Hospital, and will provide them with mentorship and training. This position will also inform the need for visiting surgical teams, and work with key members of the organization to coordinate and manage and visiting surgical teams.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Chief of Surgery in general surgery department strategic planning and development
- Teach and mentor Haitian surgical residents
- Perform between 80-100 surgeries per month
- Liaise with the supply chain team to provide feedback on necessary supplies
- Participate in meetings, workshops, and conferences with a primary function of building a network and following up with both current and potential partners
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Board certification in general surgery
- Completed an American Board of Surgery approved General Surgery Residency
- Fluency in French or Haitian Creole is a plus but not required (willingness to learn is necessary)
- Strong communication with clinical and administrative teams, as well as members of the training program
- Dedicated to serving vulnerable populations
- Willingness to live in rural Haiti
The application deadline is April 30, 2017. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “General Surgery Fellow”. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants we will only contact those who are being considered for an interview. Thank you for your interest in SBHF.