Communications/External Relations Coordinator
Title: Communications/External Relations Coordinator
Location: St. Boniface Hospital, Fond des Blancs, Haiti
Reports to: Director of Communications
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Communications Coordinator is an integral member of the communications team. The coordinator will primarily identify, gather, and translate information for stories about St. Boniface Hospital and the surrounding community. To further the SBHF mission, these materials will be used as fundraising and awareness raising tools in digital and print collateral by Boston-based staff.
In addition, as the External Relations Coordinator, the successful candidate will coordinate the logistics of group and individual visits to St. Bonfiace Hospital and serve as visitors' primary point of contact while in Haiti.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Partner with hospital staff to identify hospital and patient stories;
- Proactively interview or assist with interviews with patients and staff;
- Photograph or assist with photography of patients, staff, or others related to stories;
- Translate and relay interviews and other relevant information to Boston staff in a timely and accurate manner;
- Follow up with subjects and their families in order to share their recovery post-hospitalization (This will require traveling to patient homes and/or schools;
- Maintain the highest editorial integrity by following all consent guidelines;
- Meet regularly with Boston staff by phone to discuss communications priorities and review needs for upcoming collateral such as appeal letters, annual reports, blog posts, social media posts etc.;
- Assist visiting communications professionals (photographers, videographers, and journalists) with their on-the-ground assignments as needed; and
- Other communications tasks as needed.
External Relations Coordination:
- With guidance from Boston staff, coordinate logistics for visitors of St. Boniface Hospital. Visitors include Boston-based staff as well as programmatic, funding, communications, or clinical partners;
- Develop trip itineraries aligned with interests and goals of both visitors and hospital;
- Work closely with hospital staff and the hospital residence to organize visitors’ housing and food;
- Work closely with transport team to organize transportation to and from the airport, as well as for field visits as needed;
- Work with Boston-based team, program managers, clinicians and development staff to ensure trip objectives are met (scheduling meetings and setting up working sessions, etc.);
- Obtain subscriptions for evacuation insurance for visitors, when appropriate; and
- Coordinate billing and payment of local vendors (such as caterers, hotels, and restaurants) as needed.
- One year of communications experience and/or communications related undergraduate preferred;
- Proficiency and/or willingness to learn French/Haitian Creole;
- Ability to proactively seek compelling stories; creative self-starter eager to share the work of SBHF;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;ability to approach people and put them at ease in order to interview them for stories;
- Experience with all channels of social media; understanding of strategic postings a plus;
- Photography/video experience a plus;
- Willingness to live in Fond des Blancs, Haiti for at least one year; and
- Commitment to values and mission of SBHF.