Director of Communications
Location: Boston, MA with travel to Haiti as necessary
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate SBHF’s mission. The Director of Communications will work closely with the development and program teams to ensure all materials are compelling, accurate and timely. She/he will develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the different segments of SBHF’s constituency.
- Develop and lead digital strategy to maximize organizational visibility, leading to donor acquisition and retention
- Lead the generation and dissemination of online content that engages diverse audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, digital updates, blogs, annual report, and written appeals
- Manage webpage content/ maintenance in collaboration with Communications Manager, ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Establish metrics and implement a system to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage current media contacts and strategically build portfolio of contacts, increasing exposure through op-eds, radio/TV interviews, etc.
SBHF is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has at least 10 years of communications experience, ideally in a leadership role within growing organization, covering both digital strategy and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Strong track record of growing social media followers and influence
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing assignments
- Experience in developing theme and content for written appeals and annual reports
- Commitment to health equity and SBHF mission
- Knowledge of graphic design a plus
- Interest in/knowledge of global health a plus
- Knowledge of Creole a plus, willingness to learn it is highly preferred